Sunday, September 6, 2009

Getting to know you....getting to know all about you...

After my first foray in an address flexible lifestyle, I would say I had new neighbors everyday. And I would take the time to get to know them. Exchange stories, just shoot the bull...and sometimes...one time....something quite poignant.

I was at a rest area in Pa., don't recall exactly which one, when a really good sized RV pulled in and parked in front of me. 15 minutes or so later, a guy came out and started shucking corn at the bench next to me. I could see his wife doing something at the sink through a window.

Sidetrack: I feel every person has a life story that is compelling, interesting, funny, etc. I had ofttimes mentioned I would like to create a TV series from a park bench, and just videotape my conversation with whoever sat next to or near me. To this day, I still want to give that concept a shot.

Anyhow...I digress....

I start my conversation with this guy and we exchange this and that, and then get down to why we are each on the road. I have mentioned mine at the time before here...separation from the una-ex. His was a worlds away different reason from mine.

His wife had been diagnosed with terminal cancer. At that time she had perhaps another 10-14 months to live. So they sold everything, bought this magnificent RV and decided, since they had no kids, to drive all over America. See all that they...together...could see as much as possible...experience as much as possible...with what time they had left.

That "compelling" thing I mention when sidetracked.

The point is, I learned from this guy. It had not been all that long ago at that time I had lost my wife to cancer. But beyond that, he gave me some tips and ideas to help me along in what I was experiencing at the time.

Networking...not always about finding a job.

You can get tips to save....to stay alive....places to stay....places to avoid....etc.

I would also happen along to something and weasel my way into it. I was watching a live feed for WBRE in Wilkes-Barre and introduced myself to the reporter-ette. She told me she liked my style and who to reach out to at the station for a job.

Got hired.

una-ex took that gift away....more on that MUCH later.

I was pretty much staying in a public park in Kingston and met up with someone who put me in touch with the Chamber Of Commerce guy trying to get an arena built. I wound up directing, shooting, editing the promo/marketing piece for that effort. I recall a late night voice over session in a grade school converted into condos. I had a FM radio guy as the talent and he was reading the copy like an FM radio guy. I directed him to read it like he was a scholar...teaching a class. Worked much better...the guy had a great voice!

The arena is standing and successful today!

Talk with and to ANYONE you can. Not only may you get info from them, they may learn from you as well. In Disney's "Tarzan", Phil Collins sings..

"In learning you may teach..and in teaching you will learn..."

Or something like that. You know what I mean.

Don't ya'?

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment